Friday, July 9, 2010

Goodyear Giants













Roadside Oddities, p 137-139
Players: Beth and King, July 9, 2010
Directions:
Baby: See it from the freeway! I-10 just before Cotton Lane. Want a closer look? If traveling west on the I-10 exit on Cotton Ln. and take a right. Take the first right. Large baby on farm to the right.
Two giants carrying sunflowers and pumpkins: Cotton Lane and the 303.
Duncan Family Farm: 17203 West Indian School Road
Goodyear, AZ 85395-9209
Entrance Fee: $0


This was my fifth week teaching music at the Goodyear Parks and Recreation Center and I thought it was due time to complete the 'Goodyear Giant Challenge' since I was already in town for the day! I was so excited to complete the mission ( soaring me well past Mallery in completed challenges...) I packed my car after every class so I wouldn't waste any time after work loading (usually takes about a half an hour, groooooaaaannnn!) I even asked one of my students parents to give me directions to the large baby! Though he probably thought I was crazy, he gave me the directions and his phone number just in case I got lost!

To my surprise I didn't have to give him a call...mostly because the baby is humongous and if I missed him I seriously think I would need to seek help... I found the farm easily off the freeway but I couldn't tell if I was allowed on property... It was gated off with red and white striped gates...but since I didn't see a glaring 'No Trespassing' sign I decided it was a good decision to go in(I wanted King to get some good photo opportunities!). Though the sun was blazing hot and sunny at the farm I noticed the rain pouring in the mountains. I included a picture of it here because I thought it was beautiful...

The second giant viewing stop was a bit more challenging than the baby. The two large giants carrying pumpkins and sunflowers were located at a major speeding trap/ intersection. King got lost in my car for several minutes and by the time I had located him a cop had pulled over to observe my activities on the side of the road. Apparently 'Weird Arizona' photography is harmless and he eventually left, allowing me to jay walk across the road for a closer peek at the giants. I got some good pictures but by the time I got back to my car a man had pulled over concerned that my car was broken down. I told him about the challenge and not only did he give me directions to Buckeye for my next challenge but he told me about the Duncan Family Farm were even more giant figures lived! Though my car was already on empty he assured me the farm was only a few miles down the road...and I was really excited about it so I went for it.

And I am so glad I did! The Duncan Family Farm had giant people, and animals! It was amazing! While I was photographing the large chicken a lady driving by noticed and stopped to offer to take my picture next to the chicken! She said she drives by the farm everyday and thought it would make a cute picture! Since I was out on this challenge alone, I was more than ecstatic to have a photo opportunity!

The Duncan Family Farm opened in 1992 to family and school tours. They had wagon rides, a petting zoo and even showed children how to grow their own vegetables. They provided guided tours and also had a farmers market to sell their organic, home-grown vegetables. After the Duncans saw John Cerney's roadside art in California they thought his creations would be perfect for their farm. The gargantuan toddler was a promotion for their educational farm. Though, according to 'Weird Arizona' the Duncan's had the whimsical creations put up more for amusement than advertisement.

Unfortunately a state law passed in 2001 forced the Duncan Family Farm to close their doors. The law restricts development within 30,000 feet of Luke AFB runway claiming that it is an "accident potential zone."

Though the fate of the Duncan's charming farm is uncertain, the giants continue to provide smiles to weary travelers and roadside oddity enthusiasts.

1 comment:

  1. If you break the law, the challenge doesn't count! And you should consider a mascot who can offer you a little more protection...considering you attract so many people when hanging out on the side of the road!

    ReplyDelete